Everything you need to know about EICRs

The rules have changed regarding Electrical Inspection Condition Reports (EICRs). Since 1st July 2020, it is now mandatory for landlords to provide a copy of their electrical safety report to their tenants and, if requested, their local authority.

Here is everything you need to know about an EICR.

What is an EICR?

EICR stands for Electrical Inspection Condition report and is the report given after an assessment of the quality and safety of the electrical installations, electrics, and cables in your property. It is an official document, carried out in accordance with the BS7671, and is completed by a qualified engineer or electrician.

The report categorises the competency of your electricity as follows:

C1 – danger exists and needs immediate attention

C2 – potential for danger advises immediate attention

C3 – no danger but still recommends improvement

Any C1 and C2 remedial works identified by an EICR inspection must be completed prior to a tenant commencing at move in stage. For current tenancies, there is a 28 day grace period for remedial work to be completed.

C3 works are only recommendations and not a legal requirement.

Why do you need an EICR?

EICRs might be mandatory for landlords now, but in reality, most good landlords should have been getting electrical safety reports on their properties every five years anyway. It is also highly recommended for business owners and homeowners to ensure the safety of their property as well.

Electrical installations deteriorate with wear and age and can become a fire hazard. This includes improperly insulated wiring and faulty appliances. It is therefore imperative that they are professionally checked every few years, as any hazards may not be obvious to the naked eye.


When should you get an EICR?

How often you should get an EICR depends upon what kind of property you are running and whether you are a landlord, business owner or homeowner. The BS7671 sets the standard for electrical installations in the UK and recommends the following:

Business owners – once every five years

Landlords – once every five years or when there is a change in tenancy

Homeowners – once every ten years, unless the property has a swimming pool, in which case you should get one every year

As it is imperative to get any remedial work completed before a tenant moves in, an EICR should be agreed and ordered by the landlord at the point of instruction so that the any works can be carried out whilst the property is being marketed and in advance of securing a tenant. The EICR is to be paid in advance, as is any remedial works.

Finding a qualified electrician or engineer

We have a number of PMP approved electricians and engineers that will be able to carry out an electrical safety report with no fuss. Click here to get a free quote in three easy steps and find the right electrician for you.

We are still operating during lockdown and doing all we can to keep you and your property safe. Our PMP approved contractors are fully compliant with COVID restrictions, keeping a safe distance and wearing full PPE.

Contact us today for more information.

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *